Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Week 2- Abstract

 
Craft:
I made this piece, titled "Tangles", Using several layers in photoshop. In each layer I chose a different brush and a different related color from a chosen 4 row spectrum. Before applying a new layer, I made the previous layer invisible. In the layer I used brush strokes and stamps to fill the screen. When all ten layers were created, I made them visible again and rearranged them until they made a desirable image.

Concept:
I titled this piece "Tangles" because to me it looks like a mess of hair. The gray strokes on top especially gave me this impression. The thick and thin and unfocused directions of the lines gave me the impression that this isn't just hair, it is hair that is tangled, it is not tame. I think the over all feel of the piece is dark rather than light. It's fighting.

Composition:
There was no rhyme or reason to how these marks are arranged. It was done blindly and then later rearranged. It  was finally rearranged like this because this order made me feel more about it as a cohesive image. It came together as looking like tangled hair to me only after the completion of the composition. it comes down to there are many layers, they are all in a blue-violet color spectrum, line is what is defining the "shape" and because of the many layers this piece has a lot of depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment