Monday, February 20, 2012

Special Edition- Midterm AIC

Art Institute
Proof I was there, a pic of Nate

Chosen Masterpiece
    by Martin Puryear (1982)
Sanctuary
Using: Pine, Maple, & Cherry


 










Why I like it: I'll admit, lately i've been very into contemporary art. 5 years a go I didn't get get any of it, now I do and I love it. I liked this piece because of the possibilities that came to mind when I thought about it. It made me think! To me a master of his art can create something that is inspiring and thought-provoking.

Craft: It's made using just wood, different kinds of wood. a few boards were put together to create the cube on top, and longer limbs are placed as the legs, with a rounded piece as the base.

Concept: The title lends itself to what I think the artist meant with this piece. By Sanctuary it is very tall, it is secluded, it is empty, it is uncorrupted by inorganic materials, It is free standing. It reminds me of a birdhouse and a unicycle. It looks like a tall gangly awkward person relaxing as the wallflower at a party. It is open to interpretation, even with the title it can mean so many things.

Composition: Wow. So this is arranged, kind of bottom up. At the base, there is a lopsided wheel shape, the center acting like an axle. There are 2 unconnected "legs" which cross paths and that seemingly support each other. They are not smooth, they have natural lumps and grooves which give them a bumpy texture. directly above is a cube shaped box, with an opening away from the wall. Nothing is inside this box. I see no evidence of paint on the piece. I notice looking up that underneath the corners are darker, many different pieces of wood have been used to create the cube, not just a big carved out hunk or 4 simple sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment